International University of Yoga and Ayurveda is working to establish an Ayurvedic Hebalist Certification Program (Dravya Guna Shastra) as a 1000-hour training program around the world in countries where Ayurveda is not yet licensed.
This training program is based on the guidelines of the World Health Organization (WHO) Benchmarks for training in traditional / complementary and alternative medicine: benchmarks for training in Ayurveda & Government of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Department of Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy (AYUSH), New Delhi, India. (Reference Number: D.O. NO. 480 /Adviser (Ayurveda) / 2009, May 1st, 2009), and is approved by Association of Ayurvedic Professionals of North America (AAPNA), Inc.
Syllabus: (According to Central Council of Indian Medicine, AYUSH, Government of India)
1. Dravyaguna Shastra Paribhasha - Lakshana of Sapta Padartha of Dravyaguna Vijnana viz Dravya- Rasa-Guna- Virya- Vipaka- Prabhava and Karma.
2. Dravya: Etymological derivation, definition, panchbhoutikatwa. Classification of Dravya according to Samhitas and Nighantus Taxonomical classification.
3. Guna: Etymological derivation, definition and Classification of Guna. Detailed knowledge of Gurvadi Guna & Paradi gunas.
4- Rasa: Etymological derivation, definition, Meaning of “Rasa” in various contexts. Shad Rasas (Madhura, Amla, Lavana, Katu, Tikta, and Kashaya), Panchabhautik constitution of Rasas, Nirvrittiviseshakrama (manifestation in general and particular), Ritu and shad rasa Rasanurasayoh bheda (Difference between rasa and anurasa), Lakshana (characteristics),Guna and Karma of shad Rasas, Kopana and Shamana of Dosha and dushya by Shad rasas. Effects of excess usage of Rasa. Rasopalabdhi, Rasaskandha.
Etymological derivation and definition, difference between Avasthapaka and Vipaka,
Types of Vipaka, (Dvividha-Trividha,Panchavidha) Guna and karma of Vipaka.
Grades of Vipaka (taratamya), Vipakopalabdhi hetu (Factors to determineVipaka).
Etymological derivation, definition and Swarupa of Virya, Number of Virya.
(Dwividha & Ashtavidha), Panchabhauthikatva
Virya karmani (Effects of Virya), General principles in determination of virya along
6. Veerya: Etymological derivation, definition and Swarupa of Virya, Number of Virya. (Dwividha & Ashtavidha), Panchabhauthikatva Virya karmani (Effects of Virya), General principles in determination of virya along with exceptions.
7. Prabhava: Definition, Effects of Prabhava.
8. Interrelation of Rasa-Guna-Virya-Vipaka-Prabhava with respect to their strength (balabal nirupana). Samanapratyayarabdha and Vichitrapratyayarabdha dravyas.
9. Karma: Lakshana, swaroopa and bheda of karma (Definition, nature and types of action). Explanation of the following Karmas with examples:
10. Brief information on Karmas of dashemani gana of Charak Samhita.
11. Mishraka Gana (Combination of groups)
11a)- Audbhida Gana (Vegetable origin)
Agrya aushadh varga- Knowledge of Agrayaaushadha Varga with example
11 b)- Jangama Gana (Animal origin)
11 c)- Parthiva Gana (Mineral origin)
12- Basis of nomenclature: Basis of nomenclature of dravya, Basis and Derivation of synonyms.
13. Bheashaja Pariksha vidhi (as described in Charaka samhita vimana sthana 8)
14 a) Concept of dravya shodhan (purification of dravya)
14 b) Brief knowledge of Apamishran (adulterants)
14 c) Concept of Abhava pratinidhi dravya (substitutes)
15- Prashasta bheshaja (ideal drug), plant extracts. Concept of viruddha Dravya (incompatibility of the dravya).
16- Introduction to Nighantu Vigyan - Dhanwantari Nighantu, Bhavaprakashanighantu, Rajanighantu.
17- Brief knowledge of cultivation, conservation of medicinal plants and information about endangered species.
18. - Introduction, Definition & scope of Pharmacology and Principles of general Pharmacology.
Brief Knowledge about pharmacology of the following -
19. Detailed Knowledge of Following Dravya –
Detailed knowledge of following herbs with respect to Basonym of drug, Main Synonyms, Regional Name, Botanical Name, Family, Classification of Dravya (Gana) as described in Charak and Sushrut, External morphology, Useful parts, Important phyto-constituents, Rasa panchaka, Action on Dosha, Dhatu, Mala, Prayogarha vyadhi (therapeutic indications), Amayikaprayoga and Matra (Therapeutic administration and Dose), Vishishta yoga (names of important formulations), Vishakta Lakshan (adverse effects), Chikitsopachara (remedial measures) and Shodhana (as required)
20. Brief Knowledge of following dravyas (herbs) with relations to Sanskrit Name, Botanical Name, Family, Habit (Samanya Swarupa), Parts Used and Indications.
21. Introduction, Guna, Karma and Uses of following Jantava Dravya (Drugs of Animal Origin).
1. Kasturi - Deer musk
2. Gorochana - Bile of cow
3. Mrigasringa - Deer antlers
22. Introductory Knowledge of Following Annapana Varga:
1. Jala Varga - water varieties
2. Dugdha Varga - milk varieties
3. Madhu Varga - honey varieties
4. Taila Varga - oil varieties
5. Sukadhanya Varga - rice, wheat, corn varieties
6. Shamidhanya Varga - Legumes and pulses varieties
7. Phala Varga - fruit varieties
8. Shaka Varga - vegetable varieties
9. Mamsa Varga - meats varieties
10. Aharayogi - various types of food preparations
1. A. Study of Macroscopic, Microscopic characters and Demonstration of organoleptic charcteristics and grahya-agrahyatva of following plants and their useful parts.
i. Kanda (stem) - Guduchi or Ashtishrinkhala
ii. Patra (leaves) - Vasa or Kumari
iii.Pushpa (flower and Parts of flower)- Dhataki or Japa
iv.Phala (fruit) – Maricha or Madanaphala or Vidanga
v. Beeja (seeds) – Eranda or Kapikacchhu
vi.Twak (bark) – Kutaja or Arjuna or Ashwattha
vii. Moola(Root)- Punarnava or Chitraka
viii. Niryasa (exudate) – Guggulu or Mocharasa
ix. Jangama dravya - Madhu or Ghrita.
2. Records of Herbarium sheets of 50 medicinal plants Compulsory study tour other
state/s for field knowledge and procurement of plant species.
PRACTICAL MARKS DIVISION
1 Herbarium 20 Marks
2 Practical record 20 Marks
3 Drug identification- spotting –Raw/crude herbs 30 marks
4 Plant identification spotting –fresh 30 marks
5 Practical 40 marks
6. Viva-Voce 60 Marks
Total 200 marks
1. Abhinav Buti Darpan (Vol.1-2) - Vd. Roop Lal Vaishya
2. Aushadna Vigyna Shastra - Acharya Pt. Vishvanatha Dwidevi
3. Ayurvediya Aushadnkarma vigyana - Acharya V.J. Thakur
4. Bedi Vanaspati Kosha - Prof. Ramesh Bedi
5. Bhaishajyaguna Vigyana - Dr. Alakhnarayan Singh
6. Bhav Prakash Nigantu (English) - Shreekanthamurti
7. Bhav Prakash Nighantu - With Vd. Krishna Chandra Chunekar commentary
8. Bhrinad dravyagunadarsha - Mahendra Kumar Shastri
9. Classical Uses of Medicinal Plants - Acharya Priyavrata Sharma
10. Controversial Medicinal Plants - Vd. G. Bapa Lal
11. Dalhana Ka Dravyaguna Shastra Ke Kshetra Me Yogadana - Vd. Shiv Kumar Vyas
12. Dravyaguna Kosha - Acharya Priyavrata Sharma
13. Dravyaguna Sutram - Acharya Priyavrata Sharma
14. Dravyaguna Vigyana - Dr. Gyanendra Pandey
15. Dravyaguna Vigyana(Vol. 1-2) - Acharya Yadavji Tikram Ji
16. Dravyaguna Vijyana - Dr. V.M. Gogate
17. Dravyaguna Vigyana (Vol. 1-5) - Acharya Priyavrata Sharma
18. Dravyaguna Shastrum - Vaidya G.A. Phadake
19. Dravyaguna Vijyana - Dr. A.P. Deshpande
20. Dravyagunavijnana basic Principles - Prof.D.S.Lucas
21. Forgotten Healers (Indian Medicinal Plants) - Dr. Prakash Pranjape
22. Glossry of Vegetable Drugs in Bhrittrayis - Thakur Balwant Singh & Vd. Krishna Chandra Chunekar
23. Introduction to Dravyaguna - Acharya Priyavrata Sharma
24. Kriyatamka Aushadi Parichaya - Acharya Pt. Vishvanath Dwidevi
25. Materia Medica - Acharya Ghosh
26. Nighantu Adarsh (Vol. 1-2) - Vd. Bapa Lal
27. Pharmacological basis of Medical Practice - Goodman & Gillman
28. Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics - Satoskar Bhandarkar & Ainapure
29. Prayogatamaka Dravyaguna Vigyana - Dr. Maya Ram Uniyal
30. Priya nighantu - Acharya Priyavrata Sharma
31. Raspanchaka/Dravyaguna Siddhanta - Prof. Shivcharan Dhyani
32. System of Plant Nomenclature in Ayurveda - Dr. Gyanendra Panday
33. Text Book of Pharmacognosy - Trees & Valis
34. Textbook of Dravyaguna - Dr.K.Nishteswar
35. Unani Dravyaguna Vigyana - Hakim Daljeet Singh
36. Useful parts of Charaka, Sushurut, and Vagbhata
37. Uttarakand Ki Vanaspatiya - Dr. Gyanendra Pandey
38. Vanoaushadi Darshika - Thakur Balwant Singh
39. Vanoaushadi Nidarshika - Dr. Ram Sushil Singh
40. Vedic Vanaspatiyan - Dr. Dinesh Chandra Sharma
Follow Us On